Slideshow Widget

  • Cochem, Germany 2013 photo Cochem_edited-1.jpg" />
  • Heidelberg, Germany 2013 photo heidelberg_edited-1.jpg" />
  •  photo florence.jpg" />
  • Rome, Italy 2013 photo Rome2.jpg" />
  •  photo florence2.jpg" />
  •  photo Venice.jpg" />

Book Crush #1

Sunday, August 4, 2013


Amazon   |  Barnes & Noble
The Honest Life: Living Naturally and True to You
What a great reference if you're trying to eliminate as many chemicals as you can while still living a perfectly normal life! 

Did you know:

"The average personal care product contains around 126 ingredients. The government doesn't require pre-market safety testing on any of them." (page 45)

"[Tear-Free Baby Products] contain a special mix of toxic chemicals that work by numbing your baby's eyes so she can't feel all the other harsh chemicals stinging!" (page 43)

"In the past 35 years, the EPA has restricted only 5 toxic substances and the FDA has banned 11. Meanwhile, the European Union has banned more than 1,100 chemicals that it considers unsafe in personal care products alone." (page xvi)

If any of that sounds interesting or disturbing to you, you'll probably like this book. She does a great job of presenting complicated information in a very usable format. And even better: she keeps it real- she points out that she cheats, too, and that it would be impossible to live 100% nontoxic. I like that. It's all about making changes where you can when you're able to. It's about doing the best you can in the moment.

I feel like I should mention that she does promote her own products (have you checked out The Honest Company yet? Ah-mazing!) but it doesn't bother me. She and her team have done a lot of research (so that I don't have to - yay!) and put in a lot of time to develop a safe and effective line of products we can be confident in using. Why shouldn't she promote her hard work? She does promote other brands, too, and gives recipes for natural home made options as well.


I've been reading this series for years because I never want it to end. Never ever ever. I'm really not sure I want to live in a world where Jamie Fraser doesn't exist and I know he cannot live forever. If you're an avid reader you probably understand my attachment to a completely fictional character. I don't want to read the pages where he dies. I'm getting very nervous because I'm dancing closer and closer to the end. The book after Echo is set to be released in March 2014.

It actually might be a few years before I can read the next installment, Written in My Own Heart's Blood, until I know if there will be another one after it.

If you haven't read this series, it starts with Outlander. I always like to read a series in order, but I especially recommend it with this one. There is an intricate web woven through these stories and you won't want to miss a bit of it.




Media Mention: Snatch. One of Guy Ritchie's best.
Don't like to read? That's ok! (Actually it makes me a little sad for you, but hey! To each his own.) I admit this movie definitely isn't for everyone, but it's one of my favorites. It's violent and vulgar and culturally offensive. I think it's hilarious. Sound good? Want an added layer of enjoyment? Turn on the "Piker Subtitles" so you can understand what Brad Pitt is saying. A special shout-out to my cousin, Josh, for that tip! Thanks for that suggestion!  It was awesome! Jolly good time!