Slideshow Widget

  • Cochem, Germany 2013 photo Cochem_edited-1.jpg" />
  • Heidelberg, Germany 2013 photo heidelberg_edited-1.jpg" />
  •  photo florence.jpg" />
  • Rome, Italy 2013 photo Rome2.jpg" />
  •  photo florence2.jpg" />
  •  photo Venice.jpg" />

The Christmas Market at the Valkenburg Caves

Tuesday, November 25, 2014


I promised some days would have more than one post and today I'm delivering the first one.

Up Next: Valkenburg Caves in the Netherlands


If you hate the cold or have little ones you're concerned about, this is an awesome market to check out. The caves are deep in the hills and are a nice moderate 60 degree (F) temp. You can unzip and even take off your coat inside! I loved it!

Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (10 of 34)


Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (8 of 34)


Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (17 of 34)


Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (9 of 34)


As you can see, it's really cute inside. There are different decorations everywhere and each of the caves is a little different.

I thought the shopping here was pretty awesome! They have less ornaments (but still plenty, don't worry!) and tons of things to give as gifts instead. I bought a really pretty throw blanket to decorate my living room for the holidays and some really warm socks. They also had lots of home decor, clothing, jewelry, toys, even antiques and books. Seriously, there's something for everyone on your list!

Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (12 of 34)


Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (16 of 34)


Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (15 of 34)


Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (33 of 34)


Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (31 of 34)
That's my hubby - ain't he cute?!


Outside of the caves there are a couple of little streets with some shops and cafes to enjoy. The ham and pea soup was particularly good last year.

Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (25 of 34)


Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (5 of 34)
This guy was happy to greet us as we walked into the village from the parking area.


Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (26 of 34)


Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (21 of 34)


Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (19 of 34)


As you can see, you could spend all day just walking around looking at the decorations. It's all really well done.

Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (27 of 34)
Even Peter Pan and Hook made an appearance.


Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (28 of 34)
This Santa really creeps me out. He looks like he needs a nap!


Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (29 of 34)


Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (22 of 34)
Now this guy? This is my kind of Santa, book in hand.


Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (11 of 34)


Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (23 of 34)


Valkenburg Caves Christmas Market (34 of 34)

There is a small fee to enter the caves and we also paid for parking in their parking lot. It's about a 5 minute walk into the village from the parking area but there are nice sidewalks and traffic wasn't very heavy for the very short distance we did have to walk on the road. But, still, I recommend wearing comfortable shoes that are warm. 

Unless you plan to spend a lot of time outside, you don't need to wear too many layers. Inside the caves, I was too hot to leave my scarf on and jacket zipped. I had on a tank and sweater and was perfectly comfortable inside.

If you need more information about opening times or a route planner, you can find it HERE!

I hope you enjoy this Christmas Market; I thought it was absolutely lovely. It was a great way to spend a day. 

Let's talk! Let me know in the comments what you do or don't like about the Valkenburg Caves.

2 Responses to “The Christmas Market at the Valkenburg Caves”

  1. Lovely photos! I just built a market spreadsheet for a Facebook group in K-town; can I add your bloggy link to it? Some folks weren't impressed with the Caves so I'd like to be fair and balanced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, of course you can! I've known a few people who didn't care for this one, too. Each Christmas Market has it's own thing, and I don't believe everyone will like all of them. I just try to point out the good things and any negatives I might see. This one is more commercial than many, but I liked not seeing the same items over and over. To each their own!

      Delete